All Winter Creative Writing Workshop students and staff stay on-site at Heartland Center, about 15 miles from the Kansas City international airport.
The center offers comfortable living arrangements and 3 meals per day (includes dinner Friday night and breakfast Wednesday morning). Rooms are hotel-style and shared.
We are unable to accommodate students who want to stay off-site but attend sessions and critiques. We cannot make exceptions. Accompanying parents may, of course, choose to stay off-site if they would prefer.
December 30, 2019–January 4, 2020
Monday, Dec. 30 – Check-in begins at 3:00 p.m. Do not arrive on-site before 1:00 p.m. Dinner is at 6:00 p.m. A short meeting will follow, at 7:00 p.m., to review the rules and the week ahead, followed by fun, visiting, and games.
Tuesday, Dec. 31 – 9:00 a.m. through evening session; followed by New Year’s Eve festivities
Wednesday, Jan. 1 – 9:00 a.m. through evening session
Thursday, Jan. 2 – 9:00 a.m. through evening session
Friday, Jan. 3 – 9:00 a.m. through evening session
Saturday, Jan. 4 – Breakfast. Check out of dorms by 10:00 a.m. Leave Heartland Center by noon.
Special Message about the 2020 Winter Workshop
The new structure that we tried last year was a hit! Feedback was very positive, so we are doing the same thing again, replacing the second morning session slot with three options:
- Writing Time – Two lounges will be set aside with writing desks and couches, etc. for silent writing time
- Brainstorming Session – In-depth small-group discussion of one student’s novel synopsis and outline (two pages, double-spaced; come prepared with 7 printed copies if you would like yours to be considered for discussion.)
- Collaborative Writing Exercise – The Great Hall will host various writing prompts and activities planned in advance by our team.
Each day, students will be able to choose which of the three options they’re most interested in.
This is a 100% NUT-FREE event.
Some attendees have severe, life-threatening peanut/nut allergies.
Thank you for your understanding and compliance!
Meals & Lodging
Includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner Tuesday morning through Friday night, PLUS dinner on Monday night and breakfast Saturday morning.
When you make your balance payment (student) or purchase a meal ticket (parent), you will have an opportunity to list dietary restrictions and food allergies of any kind.
Rooms in the Girls’ Dorm have two double beds, two occupants to a bed. Rooms in the Boys’ Dorm have three twin beds. If you are willing to pay for more than one spot in a room, we may be able to give you your own double bed or your own room, depending on space. Please share your request with us by email.
Each room has its own full bathroom. Bed linens, pillows, blankets, and towels are provided.
We DON’T take roommate requests by email.
You will have an opportunity to request one or more roommates when you pay your student balance (student) or purchase an accommodation ticket (parent). The Boys’ Dorm is 3 to a room of 3 twin beds; the Girls’ Dorm is 4 to a room of 2 full-size beds. Matching roommate requests must be submitted by all parties.
• Parents may pay for more than one accommodation spot if they do not wish to share a full-size bed (Girls’ Dorm) or room.
• If you are coming as a married couple and wish to room together, please email email@example.com about availability. It may be possible, but will depend on the number of attendees.
• Same-gender parents are roomed with the student unless otherwise indicated on the ticket forms.
Airport Shuttle Service
The $30 optional airport shuttle provides pick-up service from Kansas City International Airport (flight code MCI) to the workshop on Monday, December 30, and return service to KCI on Saturday, January 4.
General service times:
– Monday, Dec. 30: 1:00–6:00 p.m., Central
– Saturday, Jan. 4: through 11:45 a.m., Central
We will not leave you stranded at the airport if your flight is delayed, etc., but please book your flights with these run times in mind so that you do not miss out on any activities, or spend hours waiting in the airport. The Kansas City airport does not have many food options for long waits.
To take advantage of this service you must purchase your ticket by December 16.
• Unlike years past, you will enter your flight information when you purchase your ticket, in an online form.
• When making flight reservations, please note that KCI is short for Kansas City International, but “MCI” is the official flight code.
• If you only need the shuttle service in one direction, please purchase the shuttle ticket (type “N/A” in non-applicable fields), and then email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a 50 percent refund.
• If you have any questions about flight scheduling, please contact us prior to purchasing your flight tickets.
• Shuttle service may be handled by a reputable third party. We will try to coordinate pick-up and return times with your schedule, but you may encounter some wait time at the airport.
Registration + lodging + meals ……….. $595
• The price includes a workshop t-shirt.
• Students must make a fully-refundable $100 deposit to apply. The remaining $495 is due by November 20.
** There is also a $1.00 logistical fee because the parent ticket form requires a baseline price. **
Lodging ……………….. $160
Meal plan …………….. $175
Donate to the Fund
We ourselves are not able to offer scholarships beyond stewarding funds that are donated, including the Dúnedain Scholarship. We are always thrilled to receive donations that we can pass on to students, if you feel led to give! Whether you donate $10, $25, or $250, 100 percent of donations go to students.
Applying for a Scholarship
We have a single application form for any and all Winter Workshop scholarships. If you apply, you will be considered for any funds you are eligible for. Financial need is often a consideration, but please apply even if you aren’t sure how your need might compare with someone else’s. There is no harm in applying!
The deadline to be considered is 11:59 p.m. Central Time, November 1. We will communicate decisions by November 15.
The Dúnedain Scholarship
An anonymous group of students has completely funded the Winter Workshop costs for a student who has gone out of their way to help others without expectations of returns!
They named the scholarship after the Dúnedain. “Rangers shrouded in hooded cloaks arriving at the last rays of dusk, the Dúnedain came to the aid of Aragorn when least expected,” the group wrote. “His kinsmen and fellow guardians of hope, they stood staunch in the face of the Army of the Dead and rode with him all the way to Pellenor Fields. The Dúnedain were rangers of mystery, helping those in need without expectation of return. Our own Dúnedain … understand the immeasurable refuge Imladris is to those weary and worn. Imladris was a haven for them, and now they hope to make it a haven for others.”
All scholarship applicants are automatically considered.
Video or audio recording of any part of the sessions is strictly prohibited. This includes cell phone and pocket-camera videos. Please respect this policy.
Videos taken during free time are permitted as long as all participants agree to be filmed. (Photos are welcome.)
The Country Club Plaza – KC
The Nelson-Atkins Art Museum
National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial
Union Station | Kansas City Museum
Science City – for kids
Arabia Steamboat Museum
Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
Kansas City Jazz Museum: The Blue Room
Toy & Miniature Museum of KC
American Royal (rodeo, horse shows, etc.)
The John Wornall House Museum