How is One Year Adventure Novel licensed? We offer three license options: a Household License, a Group License (includes study groups), or a Charter License. Read about the license agreements in this easy-to-understand format to find out which type of license fits your situation.
If you need to change your license type or have any questions, please contact us. We are happy to help you figure out the best fit!
Please note that any reference on this page to DVDs pertains to licensed sets previously purchased. We are not able to offer DVD sets at this time due to the increased manufacturing costs.
• Anyone purchasing for use exclusively with a student in their immediate family in the context of their own home (materials for additional immediate family members can be ordered at any time with your curriculum license number).
• Anyone purchasing through a charter organization that does not retain rights to the non-consumable materials. (If the non-consumable parts of the product, such as the DVDs and teacher guide, are considered to be charter assets and must be returned to the charter, we assign the charter a Charter License.)
• Anyone purchasing the program for personal use (e.g., an adult student)
• The Household License does not expire; it doesn’t need to be renewed. (If you use the Cloud video streaming service, you renew your Cloud access for $35/year, but your license does not need to be renewed.)
• You can order student workbooks at any time with your curriculum license number.
• Students must be in your immediate family in the same residence. Close friends, cousins, etc., meeting in your home do not constitute immediate family members.
• Photocopying or other duplication is not permitted.
• Additional students need their own workbook to use the curriculum. Purchase of a new workbook includes a unique curriculum license number so individual students may have their own forum account, etc.
• The video lessons in this curriculum, whether on DVDs or accessed through the Cloud video streaming service, may not be shown publicly, including to small groups within your home, without purchase of a Group License.
• Reselling or giving this product on will void the license. The license is attached to the original customer, not the materials; it is non-transferable. (Please be aware that used sets are unlicensed. If you should buy or receive a used set, you would not have access to new workbooks or to the support features. A valid curriculum license number is required to access these.)
• Students following the curriculum together who are not of a single household, even if the group comprises only two students or meets informally in a home.
• Schools and co-ops
• A Group License is valid for one year; this year is intended to cover one group of students completing the curriculum together; if the group of students takes longer than a year, the license will expire when they finish.
• The cost of renewing an expired Group License is covered by the purchase of new Group Student Kits for the students in the new class. A small fee is included in the price of each Group Student Kit. This way the license renewal fee is distributed evenly between all the students.
• Gaps in use are fine. You can renew a Group License even if one or more years have elapsed since it expired.
• A Group License covers one group/class of students.
• Purchase of new Group Student Kits is required.
• If the group is using DVDs, all video viewing must happen together in the same location. If the group is using Cloud video streaming, where each student has their own Cloud video access, video-viewing may be done by students at home as homework, so that class time is maximized for other activities.
• Photocopying or other duplication is not permitted. Each student must have their own workbook and access to reading materials.
• The video lessons in this curriculum, whether on DVDs or accessed through the Cloud video streaming service, may not be played publicly or privately except by the class/group covered by the Group License.
• The license is non-transferable. Although we do not require the return of the DVDs or books at the end of the license year, reselling or passing on this product will void the license.
• Groups/schools/co-ops that purchase or receive a used set of The One Year Adventure Novel do not possess a valid license to use it for a group situation. Resale voids a customer’s license. Used sets cannot be used in a group setting—the videos may not be shown publicly. Please contact us for help.
Charter License Choice
You can find additional help on the Purchase Orders page.
Special Note to Parents of Charter Students
Before you order through a charter, please read through the license information below.
When a charter school orders a One Year Adventure Novel curriculum set from us, they have two choices as far as how their orders are licensed. We contact the charter about choosing a license agreement.
The majority of charter schools choose Charter Licensing because they have to treat non-consumables as charter assets. Please note that unless your charter school gives you full and indefinite rights to the materials (which is rare), your student will be using the curriculum under the charter’s one-year Charter License. You will NOT be able to order new consumables for other students in your household in future years unless you pay a $109 fee for a “rescue license.” If you anticipate many years of use, we recommend that you order from us directly, under a Household License, not through the charter. It will save you in the long run.
Licensing Options for a Charter School
• Non-expiring Household License •
The license is in the name of the student’s family and all materials belong permanently to the family, not the charter. Once the set has been used by the family, it can’t be given back to the charter for re-use with a new student. Selling or passing it on voids the license.
Using the set with another student in your household only costs $59.
In addition, students often want to stay involved in our vibrant Creative Community for more than one year. It is common for students to want to write another novel with the curriculum once they complete their first.
A Household License allows students like this to use the curriculum and support resources for many years. But it does also mean the set can’t be passed back into the charter system for re-use. We do not complete used sets of The One Year Adventure Novel.
• One-year Charter License •
The license is in the name of the charter, and the non-consumable materials in the sets are returned to the charter once the student is finished with the curriculum.
The partial set can then be used by a new student with the payment of a “rescue license” fee of $109 and the purchase of new consumables for $59.
A Charter License allows more than one student to make use of a set. The cost for the first student using One Year Adventure Novel would be $249 (Cloud version; first year of licensing included), but subsequent students would cost $168 (rescue license fee of $109 + $59 new workbook).
A Charter License is the only way for a charter to make use of a returned set of The One Year Adventure Novel and provide a new student with access to support and a new workbook.
Thank you for respecting the licensing agreements.