Write in the Cloud!
We offer a video streaming alternative to DVDs! When you order The One Year Adventure Novel, you have the option to choose between DVD and Cloud streaming.
There are significant advantages to choosing the Cloud Access Plus version.
BENEFITS to choosing the Cloud Package:
You save money.
Front-end costs for investing in The One Year Adventure Novel are lower when you choose a subscription.
You’re no longer tethered to a DVD player.
Increasingly, families are buying laptops, tablets and other devices that don’t come with a DVD drive. Now you don’t have to worry about getting an external DVD drive just to take the course.
You have access anywhere you have internet.
The great thing about streaming the video lessons is that you can watch them from anywhere, provided you have a decent internet connection! Streaming is also responsive to all modern browsers and devices, including smartphones and tablets. On the road? Visiting family out-of-state? Running behind schedule and need to finish the video on-the-go? No problem.
Video automatically adjusts to your internet signal.
Video is HD quality, but if your internet signal drops, the Cloud automatically adjusts video quality according to the connection, instead of freezing.
No hassle of lost or damaged discs!
No danger of misplacing or breaking the Cloud. So you’ll never need to pay for replacement discs.
BONUS: Access to EXCLUSIVE extra content!
We uploaded over 25 hours of advanced teaching from writing workshops we have hosted in the past. They are ONLY available on the Cloud! If you purchase a video streaming subscription for The One Year Adventure Novel, you can watch them! And if you decide to renew your subscription for future years, you will have access to new sessions as we add to the collection.
$209 for 1 year of streaming + materials
• The textbook, teacher guide, workbook, and The Prisoner of Zenda are shipped to you, but you access the video lessons online.
• After the first year you may renew your video streaming subscription for $29/year. If you also need a new student workbook (comes with a new student license number), that cost ($30) would be separate.
• You only pay to renew when you need video streaming access again. Gaps in access are fine.
• If you license for Group Use, your license renewal fee includes a video streaming subscription renewal.
• Under a Household License, subscription renewal is not necessary for students to stay connected to support resources and events, but it is necessary to keep streaming the video lessons—and to access the exclusive archive collection of workshop sessions!
• All materials are shipped to you.
• Not subscription-based; you pay $30 for new student workbooks when you need them (or new student sets, if you run a group/class). New workbooks come with a new student license number for access to support resources.
Yes, the streaming will work internationally as long as you have a good internet connection.
You receive the textbook, workbook, teacher guide, and The Prisoner of Zenda novel through the U.S. postal system. We ship by Priority Mail.
Our cost to stream videos for a year is actually higher than that of DVD production. We set the subscription renewal rate based on our projected cost for a single user over a twelve-month period.
We are very excited to focus on video streaming. But we understand that some families do not have good Internet access or have another good reason why streaming is not a good fit for them. We will keep a stock of DVDs to accommodate these families.
The lessons are shown in high definition (HD) as long as your Internet connection is strong. With slower connections, the system adjusts playback to prevent freezing, which means the videos are closer to standard definition (SD).
Under the Household License, passwords may not be shared between more than one household. When you purchase, you are agreeing not to share your access with persons outside your immediate household.
If you have a Group License and would like each participating family to watch the videos outside of class time, please contact us. We will arrange a per household access fee. (Since the Group License stipulates that the students watch the videos together in one location and that readings and/or workbook lessons are usually assigned as homework.)
Do Cloud streaming students have access to the automated quizzes, FAQ videos, and other resources on the Resource Disc?
Yes, students using the Cloud video streaming service have access to everything on the Resource Disc; they just access these resources in a different way.
Automated quizzes can be taken online via our Online Quizzes page (accessible from the Student Resources menu).
The FAQ videos are on the Cloud, along with the regular video lessons. The full-text PDFs of the additional adventure novels are listed below the FAQ videos in the Adventure Novels section.
How to Log In
- If you choose “Start Right Away” when you check out, you will receive an access password by email within a few hours of your purchase. Otherwise, you can expect your password email to come about a week before your chosen start date.
- Go to the Cloud video portal under the “Student Resources” tab on this website, or just click the link provided in your email. Enter the email address you provided at check-out and your new password.
- Your coure(s) will appear on the screen. Click “Start course” to begin. The lesson videos are grouped in threes by week with automated quizzes at the end of every week. Extra resources (FAQ, Frequently Made Mistakes, and Adventure Novel PDFs) are listed at the bottom of the left sidebar.
Video lessons are viewable on any computer, tablet, or smartphone that can run a modern browser. Our system uses HTML5 and, on older systems, Flash. The videos will work with Windows, Mac, Linux, and anything that can run a newer browser.
We use adaptive streaming, which means the quality of your video will adjust automatically based on your connection speed. For best results, we recommend a download speed of at least 1 Mbps (also written as “ms”). Click here to check your speed (ignore the advertisements about scanning your computer, etc. You just need to click “Begin.”)
Can we replay lessons, and watch lessons in non-sequential order? Are there controls such as Pause and Play?
Yes, all the videos are available to you for the duration of your subscription. You can watch them as many times as you would like, in any order, and the video player has standard controls, including Pause and Play.
Is there a limit on the number of IP addresses the streaming can be accessed from? Will my student run into problems if we are on the road?
We understand that families today sometimes function between many IP addresses. The default limit on an account is 3. But if you know you need more, please just contact us and we can make adjustments.
When you purchase, you are agreeing not to share your password for Cloud access with people outside your household (if using a Household License) or classroom.
Can I have more than one student in my household watching the lessons at the same time, on different devices?
There is no limit on the number of devices in your household that can be streaming the videos at the same time; however, you may experience problems if you have slower internet speed. A high-speed connection can support 2 or 3 devices streaming simultaneously.
Attempting video streaming on a dial-up connection is not recommended. It may be possible, but the quality would suffer.
If you have questions about which format would be the best fit as you choose between DVD and Cloud streaming, please get in touch!
We are always happy to chat with you!