Students – $275
The Cyber Ticket is for students who haven’t yet registered for the Summer Workshop. If you registered before May 1st, we are still planning to see you at the online workshop!
• The price includes a workshop t-shirt.
• Parents may register for $20 each (see Parent section).
• Siblings (non-students under 13) attend FREE.
• Siblings 13 or older must register as students.
• Siblings under 13 and parents may not attend student critique groups nor mentor sessions.
• Registering as a student after May 15 will incur a $25 late fee.
Mentor Appointments – FREE
Students may request a 20-minute appointment with a speaker/mentor. The mentors are not intimidating! These appointments are designed to give young writers a “practice agent appointment” so they can get used to pitching their story idea to an agent or publisher, but it is also fine for students just to ask questions about writing, the industry, etc.
The appointment will take place using Zoom. Clear instructions for how to attend your online meeting will be provided. The student’s contact information will not be shared.
These Mentor Appointments are optional and limited in number, so students may only reserve one ticket each.
Video or audio recording of any part of the Zoom workshop content is strictly prohibited. This includes cell phone and pocket-camera videos. Please respect this policy.
Recordings will be made available to attendees.
Videos taken during free time are permitted as long as all participants agree to be filmed. (Photos are welcome.)
What Do I Need to Participate?
To participate in the Cyber Summer Workshop, all you need is:
- A computer, tablet or smartphone
- A decent internet connection
- The Zoom application (download through this link). Choose the first download option, “Zoom Client for Meetings.” If you plan to watch on a smartphone, you will need to download the Zoom app. (Should you have any problems, simply call 1.888.799.9666. A Zoom technician will help you resolve any technical issues. Problems are normally because of a missing plugin.)
Novel Excerpts – Six Instead of Four
Because of the additional two days of critique group, please prepare six different excerpts from your novel for critiquing. The excerpts should be four pages long and must be formatted as described in your textbook, The Compass (double-spaced, 12 point Courier New or Times New Roman, one-inch margins on all sides, name and number in header, etc.)
The first four excerpts we recommend sharing are:
- The first four pages of your novel
- Four pages from your “Embracing Destiny” chapter
- Four pages from your “Black Moment” chapter
- Four pages from your “Showdown” chapter
For the other two excerpts, we recommend either bringing excerpts from some of your chapters between “Embracing Destiny” and “Black Moment” or longer excerpts that will then be read over two days (for example: the first eight pages of your novel opening, which will be read as two four-page excerpts).
Please do not send poetry, fan fiction, or screen plays to your Summer Workshop critique group.
We will provide instructions before the workshop begins for sending your excerpts to your critique group.
Spending Money (optional)
Workshop shirts are included in the price of your Student Registration ticket.
We will have a virtual pop-up shop for speaker books, curriculum materials, and other t-shirts. T-shirts will be discounted to $15 from $18. Cover Story, Byline, and One Year Adventure Novel sets will be discounted by $20. Other Worlds, module 2 of One Year Adventure Novel, will be discounted by $10.