Cover Story – DVD
Award-winning author Daniel Schwabauer—Mr. S.—reveals the process behind the page, sharing his own insights into the writing life as he takes 6th–9th graders on a fun, thought-provoking journey creating the content for their own magazine in a single school year. Students write poems, short stories, nonfiction articles, letters, and many other pieces. Through the creative structure of The Remarkable Journal of Professor Gunther Von Steuben, students also learn to observe and record their thoughts and ideas like writers. Exciting for avid storytellers but lighthearted and practical enough for reluctant writers, Cover Story is one full school year of Language Arts. If taken in grade 9, this course is 1 high school English credit.
The set includes:
- 72 video lessons
- 12 optional grammar video lessons
- Student Book
- Teacher’s Guide
- The Remarkable Journal of Professor Gunther von Steuben (paperback)
- Read more about Cover Story »
Your student will write:
- Creative non-fiction articles
- Short stories
- Blog posts … and much more!
- Students create their own magazine content
- Taught by an award-winning writer
- No prep work required for parent or teacher
- Class is taught for you through video
- Humorous skits illustrate concepts
- Self-motivating materials
- Step-by-step, easy-to-follow lessons
- Included (but optional) grammar lessons
The question isn’t whether or not students should be required to write. The question is why they should care. Cover Story engages students in a process of discovery.
Students are far more motivated to write when they choose their own subject and goals. Rather than assign topics a child has no interest in, (“Today we’re going to write a five paragraph theme about mollusks! Isn’t that great?”) Cover Story allows students the freedom of choosing a theme for their magazine, and a subject for each assignment. This approach gives the structure and guidance they need to understand the principles in each lesson, but allows them to create from passion rather than pressure.
+ Admire the work of real students in our Student Magazine Showcase.
+ Check out the 5 Cover Story contests we run to encourage your student—each one capped off with a webinar celebration.
|Dimensions||9.25 × 11.75 × 3.25 in|