• Who May Enter
• You must be a student of The One Year Adventure Novel with a valid curriculum license number.
• You must be at least 18 years old by May 31, 2021.
• Times New Roman or Courier New font, 12 pt
• Follow the manuscript format outlined in chapter 77 of the OYAN textbook
• No cover sheet required
• On the first page, in the upper left-hand corner, include your name and address. Put the title 1/3 of the way down the page, skip a line, and begin the story.
• Each following page should include a header in the upper right-hand corner with your last name and the page number.
All content must center around original characters in an original setting. We cannot accept stories with inappropriate content or fan fiction of any kind. Submissions must be in prose form, not poetry.
Short stories may not be longer than 4,000 words. There is no minimum word-count.
• One Author
We can only accept entries by a single author. No collaborative works may be submitted.
We require that you submit a title for your short story.
1st Place – $50 Amazon Gift Card
2nd Place – $25 Amazon Gift Card
3rd Place – $25 Amazon Gift Card
The Judging Process
Once the submission deadline has passed, all submissions will be reviewed by a panel of judges composed of OYAN staff members. They will select a small group of finalists and pass these on to Mr. S. He will then read each story carefully and choose the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.
Winners will be announced via e-newsletter, and then posted on the OYAN+ forum and the OYAN Facebook page. We will also compile a PDF of all winners and finalists, to be featured on this contest webpage. This PDF will be posted on the OYAN+ forum and the OYAN Facebook page as well.
There are no specific criteria for the winning story, but all judges will be looking for a compelling story, believable characters, and clear prose that fits the tone of the story (whether sparse, poetic, or somewhere in between).
Submitting Your Short Story
Follow this link to the submission form.
As you will see in the entry form, your submission must include:
- Your name, address, and date of birth
- Your valid curriculum license number
- Your electronic signature, verifying that the work is entirely your own and that you agree to respect the decision of the judges
- Your short story attached as a .pdf file
You retain all rights to your work. A notice of your copyright will appear after your entry, if it is chosen for the PDF of finalists and winners.