There are no funds available for this Winter Workshop. However, if you would like to donate to the Scholarship Fund, we’d love that and would award the funds to a selected student.
How to Apply
About the Application Form
2. We require a submission of creative writing in PDF format. The file you upload must contain your full name. This piece must be 2,500–3,000 words, double-spaced, in 12-point Courier New or Times New Roman, and may be creative fiction or nonfiction, but not poetry. Screen plays are acceptable and should be roughly 10 pages. Include your full name, curriculum license number, and the genre at the top. It can be an excerpt from a larger work as long as it is easy to follow, and you begin with a brief note to indicate where the excerpt falls in the narrative.
You need to have this PDF ready before completing the online application. You will not be permitted to submit your online application without uploading this writing sample.
3. The application form also asks for a one-paragraph explanation of your desire to attend the Winter Workshop. You may wish to prepare an answer to this question before completing the online form, so that you can paste a thoughtful response into the space provided.
4. You will also need to upload a photo that shows your face. We will only use the photo to help us get to know you; it won’t be made public. (Yes, you need to upload a photo even if we know you. We still want to have your photo in our event database. We like to see everyone’s faces while we prepare!)
Applications are due by November 15, and we will contact you about your acceptance November 30.
STUDENTS: Order your Cyber Student Ticket by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on December 7, 2020.
The Cyber Student Ticket is for students who applied and have received an acceptance email. If you haven’t yet completed an application, please apply here by November 15.
• Upload an excerpt for your mentor session (optional; if you don’t upload one, we’ll just use the creative writing sample you submitted when you applied).
• The price includes a workshop t-shirt.
• Parents may register for $15 each (see Parent section).
Video or audio recording of any part of the Zoom workshop content is strictly prohibited. This includes cell phone and pocket-camera videos. Please respect this policy.
Recordings will be made available to attendees.
Videos taken during free time are permitted as long as all participants agree to be filmed. (Photos are welcome.)
What Do I Need to Participate?
To participate in the Cyber Winter Workshop, all you need is:
- A computer, tablet or smartphone
- A decent internet connection
- The Zoom application (download through this link). Choose the first download option, “Zoom Client for Meetings.” If you plan to watch on a smartphone, you will need to download the Zoom app. (Should you have any problems, simply call 1.888.799.9666. A Zoom technician will help you resolve any technical issues. Problems are normally because of a missing plugin.)
Please prepare four different excerpts of your own writing for critiquing. See the Critique Groups section above for more info.
We will provide instructions before the workshop begins for sending your excerpts to your critique group. Respect your group by uploading your excerpts as directed and on time.
Spending Money (optional)
Workshop shirts are included in the price of your Student Registration ticket.
We will have a virtual pop-up shop for speaker books, curriculum materials, and other t-shirts. T-shirts will be discounted to $15 from $18. Cover Story, Byline, and One Year Adventure Novel sets will be discounted by $20. Other Worlds, module 2 of One Year Adventure Novel, will be discounted by $10.